When couples have difficulty conceiving, in half the cases it is due to male factor infertility.
At the Colorado Center for Male Infertility and Reproduction we believe that infertility can be one of the most stressful and challenging situations any couple may face. We are dedicated to the effective diagnosis and treatment of male infertility.
The Colorado Center for Male Infertility and Reproduction offers a new type of experience. We provide care in a warm and supportive environment. Our approach serves the needs of men with infertility issues, while we provide advanced, yet individualized care.
Expert-Trained and Expert-Led
Urology Associates is proud to have Dr. Dan Mazur leading the Colorado Center for Male Infertility & Reproduction. He is fellowship trained in male infertility and sexual health. As one of only a few doctors in the region with this specialized training, he sees patients from near and far. Patients regularly visit from Wyoming, New Mexico and Kansas who are seeking the specialized care that we provide at Urology Associates. Dr. Mazur also works with all the leading Reproductive Medicine Centers in the region to help people achieve their dream of becoming parents.
Evaluating Male Infertility
When evaluating infertility, an accurate diagnosis and proper treatment plan are critical to achieve optimal results. Male reproductive problems can range from physical abnormalities, obstructions and ejaculatory problems to poor sperm production or immunological conditions. An evaluation starts with a medical, social, developmental, reproductive and sexual history.
We also take a careful look at any medications you may be taking. General physical health, medications, smoking, heavy alcohol use, excessive heat and dilated veins in the testicles (varicocele) are all factors that can affect fertility.
Following your medical history, we will conduct a semen analysis. With that, we can determine whether male factor infertility is present, identify the cause and determine if it is reversible and correct it. The lab is able to measure the volume and concentration, as well as, look at the sperm motility and morphology. Some common diagnosis that can be identified from a semen analysis include:
• Oligospermia – Low sperm count
• Oligoasthenospermia – Low sperm count and low sperm motility
• Teratospermia – Decreased numbers of normal-appearing sperm in the semen
• Azoospermia – No sperm in the ejaculate (this can be due to an obstruction or a decrease in sperm production). With this condition a man is a candidate for sperm retrieval to have children. A testes biopsy is helpful to diagnose whether the problem is due to a sperm production problem or a blockage in one of the reproductive ducts.
The doctors at Urology Associates are experts in not only evaluating male infertility, but also treating it. It is always our goal to find the least invasive and most cost-effective treatment available. There are many options both surgical and non-surgical that can aid in restoring a man’s fertility and helping them go on to conceive.
Services that are offered through The Colorado Center for Male Infertility and Reproduction include:
• Evaluation and treatment of male infertility
• Second opinions regarding infertility treatment
• Microscopic vasectomy reversal – Vasovasostomy
• Spermatogenesis – The evaluation and treatment of hormonal issues that lead to reduced sperm production
• Sperm Retrieval using Percutaneous Epididymal Sperm Aspiration (PESA) –a minimally invasive procedure used to retrieve sperm that can be used in assistive reproductive therapies such as IVF and ICSI.
• Testicular Microsurgery for patients with severely decreased sperm production. This surgical procedure is available to correct an ejeculatory duct obstruction.
• Microscopic Varicocele Repair that corrects enlarged or varicose veins in the scrotum what are a common cause of male infertility. This microsurgery is a minimally invasive and safe procedure that can restore fertility.
Fortunately, we are able to help the majority of our patients go on to conceive children. With careful evaluation, advanced medical options, surgical techniques and assistive reproductive therapies available today, there is a good chance that your fertility challenges can be overcome, and we are here to help you get there.
Getting help is easy – take the first step!
Ask About Our Saturday Appointment Availability.